Friday, March 21, 2014

Esther Wooster vs. Grace Nies Fletcher

I'm still writing on the sequel to The Unexplored Heart, to be titled Esther's Quest,After Camelot: Esther's Quest, starring that saucy Esther Wooster, who has nagged me incessantly since the very day I wrote The End to my second historical novel. 
She appeared at my desk, portfolio in hand, stuffed with more research papers, and said, "You just think you're finished with me. I want my own book." 
And so she shall have it. 
However, I am also cognizant of another determined woman who is also nagging me to write a book about her. She was my writing mentor and friend from many years ago, who has influenced my writing, subconsciously at first, and now I see how she still influences my writings. It's called, Fletcher, Grace Nies Fletcher and Me. Why else would I have named one of the lead characters "Fletcher." And the setting would be in the Himalayas, where Mrs. Fletcher had traveled to interview the Dali Lama?
Be aware that these two strong-willed women are even now struggling (even physically) to become the first to be published, to the point where they got too close to an antique mirror, upended it and sent it crashing to the floor. I know it must have been them; nobody, not even the cat, was in the room with me. 
"Ladies, ladies," I chastised them. "Please be patient. I'm working on both your projects." 
Of course, they disappeared, leaving me to pick up shards of the mirror. 

So I ask you, which woman should have her book finished and published first? 
Esther's book has a few more chapters to be revised. 

Mrs. Fletcher's book needs a few revisions and additions to the notes I had taken while in her writing class many years ago. 

Opinions, please. They'll be back soon. 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. VERY tough call, Marilyn! Esther's story sounds like the lesser of the two weevils, as they say: with a piece of Fiction, at least the final decision on every word of the yarn is ultimately YOUR choice.
    Penning a 'homage' of sorts for a mentor who inspired you a number of years ago is something we should ALL do: it's the very least we can do to 'acknowledge our sources'. Depending on how many years have passed since then, preparations could also be very time-consuming. I'd like to think I was 'man enough' to face up to the challenge of the long term, research-heavy task first, but I know myself better than that. I'd probably opt for the easier alternative. I recently sat and pondered for over a month about what it was I didn't like about the 'final' chapter of a novel I'd been working on for almost a year. After much soul-searching and gallons of late night Lava Java (strength 6) coffee, one of the characters rose from the last page, shook a mane of hair at me, and told me she wasn't prepared to wait any longer for me to write the SEQUEL ... I'm now halfway through it, and I only had to change a couple of paragraphs in Book 1 ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the way ... (nearly forgot!!) Who said your cat had to be PRESENT (in the room) in order to perpetrate the damage to your mirror....???????? LOL

    ReplyDelete